Newborn sessions can be some of the most fun and most challenging sessions to do. Because make no mistake about it: the BABY is in charge. So here are my 8 top newborn photography session tips!
- Newborn sessions are best scheduled within the first 7-10 days. After that the babies get more wiggly and harder to pose. Even though you’re still adapting to life at home, schedule the session as soon as possible if you want serene sleeping baby photos.
- Time your session around the best time for the baby. In the first 7 days you may not have established a schedule yet, but you’ll quickly get an idea of what the best times for a rested and happy baby are.
- Feed the baby about 30 minutes before the start of the session so that he’ll be getting sleepy by the time we start the session. Be prepared for a booster feeding during the session if need be.
- Keep the house warm for our session. Since the baby may be naked or nearly naked, it’s a good idea to have the temp at 80-85. Also keep a heating pad handy, we can use it to heat up blankets or pillows the baby will lay on.
- If you don’t want to do photos of the baby naked, Consider nearly-naked baby photos, with a cute diaper cover or cute bloomers.
- Accessories or great, things like headbands, hats, etc. But make sure you try them on the baby before the session, since a tight headband or hat can make the baby cry.
- The best clothing choices are things that button or snap, so you don’t have to fit clothes over the baby’s head. Especially if you want the baby to be sleeping in the photos, the less disruption the better.
- RELAX. If you’re stressed about the session, the baby will pick up on it. Just be as normal as possible and don’t stress about the session. Know that if your baby fusses a little it’s totally normal so rest assured everything will go fine!